Sony Xperia Z
The Sony Xperia Z is a high-end touchscreen smartphone running Android. It is designed, manufactured, and marketed by Sony Mobile, and was released on February 9, 2013. Sony Mobile is part of Sony, which is a Japanese multi-national corporation and one of the leading manufacturers of electronic products for both professional markets and consumers. Sony has four main operating segments: Music, Electronics, Financial Services, and Motion pictures.
The Sony Xperia Z offers users the highest level of HD available, and the BRAVIA Engine 2 gives you increased image sharpness, quality, and contrast. The Touch Gesture feature makes the screen extremely responsive. Pre-loaded applications include Google Play, Google Chrome, Google Maps with Street View, and Google Voice Search. Other notable additions to the software include the Album, Walkman, and Video application. NFC is another core feature of the device, allowing what is on the smartphone to appear on compatible televisions or play music on wireless speakers. The Xperia Z also has high definition recording capability and battery stamina mode which helps increase standby time. Other camera features include panorama, a burst mode, and man special effects and filters. The camera app also has a useful HDR mode which helps take still shots in bad or low lighting conditions. The Xperia Z also offers a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor which is the main force behind the Android 4.1 “Jelly Bean” software. An unlocked Sony Xperia Z can be purchased online through the Sony Store, which includes free 2-day shipping. The phone can also be purchased on Amazon, and can be found on eBay for even cheaper.
The Sony Xperia Z has the following dimensions: 5.47 inches by 2.80 inches by 0.31 inches. It weighs 5.15 ounces. It is IP57 certified and dust and water resistant. It is shatter proof and has scratch-resistant glass, and the screen resolution is 1080 by 1920 pixels. The Xperia Z has 16 GB of internal space and 2 GB RAM memory. It offers the Android OS v4.1.2. It has a non-removable Li-Ion 2330 mAh battery, and also has a microSD slot to add additional memory. It offers 550 hours of stand-by time, 14 hours of talk time, and up to 40 hours of music. It operates on GSM networks.
- The Xperia Z has subtly rounded edges and reflective, smooth surfaces on all sides which are held together by an innovative skeleton frame – this edge to edge construction helps make the large display screen appear even bigger
- It is the biggest smartphone Sony has to offer, but still fits great in your pocket
- The size and quality of the screen makes it great to watch movies and browse the web (similar quality to HDTVs)
- Offers water resistance, and can actually last about 30 minutes under water – this means it can be used in the rain and can be used to take pictures in the pool or lake
- The one-touch mirroring feature allows for movies and photos from your phone to be displayed on compatible televisions
- The Sony Xperia Z has no devoted camera key, which is a big negative, especially because the camera app is slow to open
- The front and black glass panels are visually appealing and stylistically beautiful, but they do attract fingerprints, smudges, and dirt
- The phone has lackluster viewing angles
- The loudspeaker is poor quality
- Sony generally sells more phones in Europe as opposed to North America, which can limit availability and possibly drive up the price of the unlocked version, which is already expensive as is (over $600 on the Sony website)