The Samsung PN51E6500EF is a plasma HDTV made by Samsung Electronics. In 2011, Samsung Electronics displaced Apple as the world’s largest technology company, and has been the world’s largest television manufacturer since 2006. While Samsung is generally known for its LCD panels (largest maker of LCD panels since 2002), it does produce plasma HDTVs, which contrary to popular belief are not dead. PC Magazine ranks the Samsung PN51E6500EF as their most recent HDTV Editor’s Choice.
The Samsung PN51E6500EF comes with a sturdy, black plastic base with four legs. It can pivot right and left and holds the HDTV securely in place. The TV is framed by a clear plastic edge. There are no visible controls on the sides or front of the screen. Instead, there is a small joystick-like control knob that sits just under the infrared sensor. On the back are two USB ports and two HDMI ports facing left, offering easy access. Component and composite video inputs, Ethernet port, an additional HDMI port, optical audio output, and the cable connection face the back. The Samsung PN51E6500EF offers enough ports to connect a Blu-ray player, a cable box, and a game system. It is Wi-Fi enabled and offers a ton of online apps and services through the Samsung SmartHub menu. Users can access apps like Hulu Plus, Netflix, and YouTube, along with Samsung Apps like Skype, Facebook, and Twitter. It also offers a Web browser and services like AccuWeather and ESPN NextLevel. The Samsung PN51E6500EF comes with two pairs of shutter 3D glasses, and users can access 3D content on SmartHub. AllShare Play is a feature that allows users to enjoy their favourite digital content from any DLNA-connected Samsung Devices (including Smartphones and Notebooks). AllShare Play lets users wirelessly share and access content between Samsung devices regardless of where they are. The Samsung PN51E6500EF can be bought online from Amazon. Used ones are also available starting at around $750. The TV can also be found on eBay.
The Samsung PN51E6500EF is 51 inches and has a resolution of 1920×1080. It offers a Clear Image Panel, with Wide Colour Enhancer and 600Hz Subfield Motion, and Digital Noise Filter. It has 3D capability but does not come with 3D Sound. It offers Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Pulse sound with SRS TheatreSound HD. The Speaker Type is Down Firing and Full Range. The Energy Efficiency Class is Energy Start 5.3. It weighs 45.6 pounds and has the following dimensions without the stand: 47 inches x 28.1 inches x 2.2 inches. With the stand, it weighs 50.7 pounds and is 47 inches x 31.7 inches x 12.2 inches. Under normal viewing conditions, the screen consumes 262 watts. With the energy saving mode set on Low, it consumes 230 watts.
- The Samsung PN51E6500EF is Wi-Fi enabled and offers a ton of online services through the Samsung SmartHub menu, and the Smart TV system is perhaps the best of all those available at the moment; it is very easy to use and supports a wide range of movie on-demand and catch-up TV services
- It has 3D capability and comes with two pairs of glasses
- It is superior to its LED equivalent and comes at a reasonable price (can be found on sale at various online sites like eBay)
- The picture is very detailed and the colors are extremely crisp
- It is less energy efficient than their LED-backlit counterparts (consumes over 200 watts even on a low setting)
- The small knob which replaces any visible controls on the sides or front of the television screen is a bit awkward to use at first and takes some time to get used to
- The three HDMI ports is disappointing – while it is enough to connect a few devices, most competing screens of the same size offer at least four ports
- The remote is flat and simple