Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T
The Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T was first displayed in June 2012 at Computex as part of the Zenbook Touch series. The Asus Zenbook Prime Touch is the same as the Zenbook Prime, but offers a touch enable screen to take full advantage of the Windows 8 operating system. It has responsive battery saving and performance modes for various situations, while offering full HD IPS display. It has been both a critical and commercial success.
The Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T sets new standards in both technology and design. It employs precision crafted aluminum throughout its build which ensures light durability, and the entire design has been optimized to offer a holistic approach towards joining speed with beauty, and balancing play with work. The Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T offers a 2-second instant on resume which is similar to a smartphone, thanks to extreme efficiency and intelligent power management. It has an excellent battery life (lasts 25% longer than other notebooks), and offers facial recognition to help reduce the risk of unauthorized usage. The vivid full HD 1080 IPS panel brings visuals to breathtaking life, and anti-glare materials reduce unsightly fingerprints and distracting reflections. The Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T has a very large touch pad, but it lacks buttons for right and left clicks. Instead, it is set up for multi-touch use, such as two finger pinch-to-zoom and scrolling, and three-finger swipes to quickly scroll through open applications. It can be bought online from Amazon, which is $400 cheaper than the list price. It can be found at Best Buy for just under $1200 (can be found on sale for even less).
The Zenbook Prime Touch has an Intel Core i5-3317U processor at 1.7 GHz with 4 GB RAM. It weighs only 3.91 pounds at 15 inches wide, 10 inches deep and 1-1.2 inches tall. The screen is 13.3 inches diagonally with widescreen display at 1920×1080 Native Resolution. The display is powered by an Intel HD Graphics 4000 Graphics Card with Nvidia GeForce GT 650 M 2 GB GDDR5. The Zenbook Prime Touch has 128 GB Storage Capacity and runs Windows 8.
- It is remarkably lightweight and thin
- Has a beautiful 1080p touch display with IPS panel, allowing users to take full advantage of the Windows 8 interface
- Tremendous battery life lasting up to 8 hours, which compared to other notebooks is remarkable; lasts up to 25% longer than other similarly priced notebooks
- Sharp design with beautiful aluminum build
- Backlit full keyboard allows for easy use at night or in the dark without having to turn on a light
- While the speakers are not extraordinary, they perform well for both movies and music
- One of the biggest complaints with the Prime Touch is the lack of storage space
- The port selection is also limited (unlike the MacBook Pro which has 6 ports)
- Very expensive – it can be found online for around $1200 which is about $300-$400 cheaper than the in-store price
- Windows 8 interface may be difficult to learn, especially for users who are switching from a Mac, and some users have complaints about the Windows 8 system
- Does not offer very high performance which makes it weaker for gaming
- Battery is excellent but not replaceable